In 111 AC, the two factions that had formed at court received the names by which they would pass to history: the greens and the blacks, as per the colors that Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra dressed on the opening feast of a great tourney held in King's Landing to celebrate the fifth aniversary of king Viserys's marriage.
- A great tournament is held in King's Landing to honor of the five year anniversary of the marriage of King Viserys I Targaryen and Queen Alicent Hightower.
- In the opening feast, Alicent wears a green gown and Princess Rhaenyra dresses the black and red colors of her house. Henceforth, the queen’s party and the party of the princess would be known as the "greens" and the "blacks".
- Ser Criston Cole, wearing Rhaenyra’s favor, unhorses all the green champions including her brother Ser Gwayne Hightower and two of her cousins.
- Prince Daemon Targaryen shows up at the Tourney, kneels before the king and offers him the crown of the Stepstones. The two brothers are reconciled and Daemon returns to court.
- Half a year after the tourney, Viserys exiles Daemon again. The contemporary source disagree on the motives:
- Grand Maester Runciter says only that the two brothers quarreled, without explaining the cause.
- Others claim that Alicent, possibly at her father's prompting, urged Viserys to send Daemon away.
- Septon Eustace says that princess Rhaenyra fell in love with Daemon and he took her niece Rhaenyra's maidenhood. When Ser Arryk Cargyll discovered he lovers and informed the king, he got furious.
- The fool Mushroom wrote that Rhaenyra was in love with Ser Criston Cole and asked his uncle to teach her how to pleasure a man. Although she remained a virgin, Daemon taught her how seduce, kiss and fellate. After practicing with her uncle, Rhaenyra approached Cole but he refused to break his vows and explained everything to the king.