At 161 AC, when it seemed that king Daeron, had finally subdued the Dornish, a group of rebels approached him under a peace banner and killed him treacherously. The Iron Throne was inherited by Prince Baelor, who disregarded the cries for revenge and put and end to the Conquest of Dorne. He walked barefoot to Sunspear to make amends with the Dornishmen and sign a peace treaty.
- King Baelor grants perdon to the Dornish hostages at the Red Keep, and walks barefoot from King's Landing to Sunspear to atone for the war and sign a peace with Dorne.
- As part of the peace treaty, young prince Daeron is bethroted to Princess Mariah Martell, the eldest child of the Prince of Dorne.
- In his return home he passed through he Boneway, where Lord Wyl held prisoner his cousin Aemon 'the Dragonknight' on a cage over a pit of vipers. Baelor was bitten many times while rescuing Aemon, and collapsed.
- The king is healed by maesters, first in Blackhaven and afterwards in Storm's End. He is not healthy enough to return to King's Landing until half a year later.
- The three sisters of the king are closed in the Maidenvault.
- Princess Naerys has an abortion and almost dies.
- The Hand Viserys Targaryen sends his son Prince Aegon on a diplomatic mission at Braavos, where he meets his fourth mistress Bellegere Otherys.
- King Daeron I Targaryen, murdered at a parley by treacherous Dornish rebels.
- Three members of the kingsguard, including Ser Olyvar Oakheart, slain while defending their king.
Titles and Appointments
- Baelor becomes King of the Seven Kigndoms after his elder brother's death.