Torrhen's Square is a castle in the north and the seat of House Tallhart. It is located south of the wolfswood, southwest of Winterfell, and north of Barrowton, on the northern shore of a large lake. A river from the lake leads south to the Saltspear.
Torrhen's Square has stone walls thirty feet high with square towers at each corner. Its square keep is considered strong.
A Clash of Kings
With Ser Helman Tallhart, the Master of Torrhen's Square, and the best Tallhart men on campaign with Robb Stark in the south, the castle is left in the hands of its castellan, Helman's brother Leobald. He brings a large party from Torrhen's Square to Winterfell for the harvest feast.
During his harrying of the Stony Shore, Theon Greyjoy allows some villagers to escape and warn Torrhen's Square. Leobald sends Helman's son Benfred and his Wild Hares to deal with the raiders, but they are slain by Theon's ironborn.
When Torrhen's Square comes under attack from ironborn led by Dagmer Cleftjaw, Ser Rodrik Cassel takes the better part of the Winterfell garrison to respond to the threat. Once there, he breaks Dagmer's shield wall in the fight at Torrhen's Square and sends the ironborn retreating back to the Stony Shore.
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
|“||Torrhen's Square is not worth the mud beneath my heels. It is Winterfell that matters.||”|
References and Notes
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 37, Theon III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 16, Bran II.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 35, Bran V.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 56, Theon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 37, Jaime V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 55, Jon VII.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 76, Jon XI.
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Torrhen's Square.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.