|House Massey of Stonedance|
|Coat of arms||
A triple spiral; red, green and blue, on white|
(Argent, a triple gurges gules, vert and azure)
|Title||Lord of Stonedance|
|Overlord||House Baratheon of King's Landing|
|Founded||Age of Heroes|
House Massey of Stonedance is a noble house from Stonedance on Massey's Hook in the crownlands. They blazon their arms with a triple spiral; red, green and blue, on white, an ancient sigil for an ancient House.
The Masseys are a house of First Men origin. Lord Maldon Massey, a vassal of the Storm King Durran the Ravenfriend, built Stonedance and ruled Massey's Hook. The Masseys broke away from House Durrandon during the reign of King Durwald the Fat, however. The Masseys were one of the many houses which historically claimed the mouth of the Blackwater Rush.
The Masseys returned to the dominion of Storm's End when the Storm King Qarlton II took Stonedance after besieging the castle for a year and slaying King Josua Massey. Less than two years later, however, Josua's daughter married the Andal warlord Togarion Bar Emmon, who expelled Qarlton's men from Stonedance and replaced them with Josua's son. The Andals eventually made peace and intermarried with the Durrandons.
Prior to Aegon's Conquest, House Massey was sworn to House Durrendon of Storm's End but had closer ties to House Targaryen of nearby Dragonstone. When Aegon the Conqueror launched his invasion of Westeros, the Masseys supported him instead of the Storm King, Argilac the Arrogant. The master of laws for King Aegon I was Triston Massey. With the creation of the crownlands after the Conquest, the Masseys became sworn to the Targaryens of Aegon's new capital, King's Landing, instead of House Baratheon of Storm's End, who had replaced the Durrandons.
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
Ser Justin Massey, one of the queen's men at Castle Black, is an adviser of Stannis Baratheon. Justin hopes to marry Asha Greyjoy and gain the Iron Islands, since his ancestral holdings have been lost to him.
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
House Massey at the end of the third century
The known Masseys during the timespan of the events described in A Song of Ice and Fire are:
- Wallace Massey, a member of the Night's Watch.
- Ser Justin Massey, a knight in service of King Stannis Baratheon.
- Lord Maldon Massey, Lord of Stonedance and founder of the house.
- King Justin Massey, called Justin Milk-Eye, who was also a pirate.
- King Josua Massey, the last king of House Massey, called Softspear.
- Josua's daughter, who married King Togarion Bar Emmon.
- Josua's son, who ruled Stonedance with Togarion's support.
- Lord Triston Massey, Lord of Stonedance, master of laws to Aegon I Targaryen.
- Alarra Massey, wife of Aethan Velaryon.
- Lord Lucifer Massey, Lord of Stonedance, who stood for King Maegor I Targaryen in his trial of seven.
- Lord Massey, who died from a fever in 47 AC.
- Lord Gormon Massey, Lord of Stonedance during the Dance of the Dragons.
- Elinda Massey, a lady-in-waiting for Rhaenyra Targaryen.
- Ser Robin Massey, briefly made Lord Commander of the Kingsguard under King Aegon III Targaryen, but soon dismissed as the king had not consulted with his regents.
- Elinor Massey, a possible marriage candidate for King Aegon III Targaryen.
- A Game of Thrones, Chapter 30, Eddard VII.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: the area of King's Landing
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: House Durrandon.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Stormlands: Andals in the Stormlands.
- The Sons of the Dragon.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The Mystery Knight.
- A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 7, Jon II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 42, The King's Prize.
- The Winds of Winter, Theon I
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Reign of the Dragons:The Conquest.
- Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides.
- Fire & Blood, A Time of Testing - The Realm Remade.
- Fire & Blood, The Dying of the Dragons - Rhaenyra Overthrown.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.