Its Dornish side is guarded from the castle Yronwood, the seat of House Yronwood, which holds the title Warden of the Stone Way. The path runs north past the River Wyl and ends at Summerhall in the Dornish Marches. Castle Wyl, the seat of House Wyl of the Boneway, is located along or near the pass.
During the conquest of Dorne, King Daeron I Targaryen used a goat track to evade the watchtowers of the Boneway. Upon the death of Daeron, his brother, Baelor the Blessed, is said to have begun his reign by walking the Boneway barefoot to make peace between the Iron Throne and Dorne.
A Clash of Kings
Tyrion Lannister requests Doran Martell send his armies to the Boneway to keep the marcher lords in their castles as part of the political betrothal of Myrcella Baratheon and Trystane Martell. Prince Doran Martell promises to move his banners into the high passes once Myrcella arrives safely at Sunspear. Word eventually reaches Stannis Baratheon that the Dornish have fortified the mountain passes, poised to sweep down onto the Marches while he besieges Storm's End.
The Winds of Winter
- A Feast for Crows, Appendix.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Boneway.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- The Citadel. Heraldry: Houses from Dorne
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 59, Sansa IV.
- George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Dornish Marches.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 41, Tyrion IX.
- A Clash of Kings, Chapter 42, Davos II.
- The Winds of Winter, Chapter , Arianne.