What is now called the Disputed Lands was once a prosperous region during the era of the Valyrian Freehold. Usually employing sellswords, the Free Cities have contested the Disputed Lands since the Doom of Valyria four centuries ago, however. The region was left a waste when Pentos and Tyrosh—supported by Braavos, House Durrandon, and House Targaryen—freed Lys and Myr from Volantene control during the Century of Blood.
The Band of Nine allied at the Tree of Crowns in the Disputed Lands in 258 AC and conquered the region as the first step in their campaign leading to the War of the Ninepenny Kings. The Disputed Lands were eventually lost once the Band of Nine's efforts began to fail.
The Tattered Prince fled for the Disputed Lands rather than become Prince of Pentos. Prince Oberyn Martell rode with the Second Sons in the Disputed Lands before forming his own company. Lord Jon Connington, the exiled Hand of the King to Aerys II Targaryen, is said to have drank himself to death in the Disputed Lands.
A Dance with Dragons
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Free Cities: The Quarrelsome Daughters: Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 14, Tyrion IV.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Iron Islands: The Black Blood.
- The Rogue Prince.
- The Princess and the Queen.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Daeron II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion II.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon V.
- A Game of Thrones RPG and Resource Book, Guardians of Order
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 25, The Windblown.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 38, Tyrion V.
- Arianne I (The Winds of Winter)
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 24, The Lost Lord.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 56, The Iron Suitor.