From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
- For the conflict with the same name, see Battle of the Ruby Ford.
The ruby ford is a crossing of the Trident in the eastern Riverlands. It is so named for the rubies that were knocked from Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's breastplate during the Battle of the Trident. The inn at the crossroads lies near the ford. There is no crossing of the Green Fork north of it until the Twins. The non-canon map for HBO's Game of Thrones places the ruby ford north of the junction of the forks of the Trident and northwest of the crossroads inn.
During Robert's Rebellion against the ruling Targaryen dynasty, Robert Baratheon was met at a ford crossing the Trident by an army commanded by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, resulting in the Battle of the Trident. When they came together at the ford they fought a personal battle, which Rhaegar lost when Robert drove his warhammer into the prince's chest, killing him. Adorning Rhaegar's breastplate was a three-headed dragon, the symbol of House Targaryen, done in rubies. The hammer blow knocked the rubies from Rhaegar's chest, spilling them into the ford and giving the ford its name.
A Game of Thrones
Arya Stark and Mycah leave the inn at the crossroads to look for rubies remaining in the ford from the Battle of the Trident. Nearby, Prince Joffrey Baratheon is attacked by Arya's direwolf, Nymeria.
A Clash of Kings
During the War of the Five Kings, the ruby ford changes hands several times. After Lord Tywin Lannister leaves the crossroads inn, Lord Roose Bolton reclaims the ruby ford from the Lannisters along with the crossroads.
A Storm of Swords
References and Notes
- ↑ "Westeros" map from The Lands of Ice and Fire
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Ruby Ford" entry in A World of Ice and Fire
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn.
- ↑ Game of Thrones Viewer's Guide
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 49, Catelyn.