The ruby ford or Ruby Ford is a crossing of the Trident in the eastern riverlands. It is so named for the rubies that were knocked from Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's breastplate during the Battle of the Trident. The inn at the crossroads lies near the ford. There is no crossing of the Green Fork north of it until the Twins.
The ruby ford has not yet been depicted on maps of A Song of Ice and Fire. Semi-canon sources indicates it is downriver from Harroway and near the junction of the kingsroad and the river road. The non-canon map for HBO's Game of Thrones places the ruby ford north of the junction of the forks of the Trident and northwest of the crossroads inn.
During Robert's Rebellion against the ruling Targaryen dynasty, Lord Robert Baratheon's rebel host was met at a ford crossing the Trident by a loyalist army commanded by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, resulting in the Battle of the Trident. When they came together at the ford they fought a personal battle, which Rhaegar lost when Robert drove his warhammer into the prince's chest, killing him. Adorning Rhaegar's breastplate was a three-headed dragon, the symbol of House Targaryen, done in rubies. The hammer blow knocked the rubies from Rhaegar's chest, spilling them into the ford and giving the ford its name.
A Game of Thrones
Arya Stark and Mycah leave the inn at the crossroads to look for rubies remaining in the ford from the Battle of the Trident. Nearby, Prince Joffrey Baratheon is attacked by Arya's direwolf, Nymeria.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
The hosts commanded by Ser Aenys Frey and Roose Bolton have difficulty crossing the ruby ford because the Trident is in flood. Ser Gregor Clegane defeats the rearguard of Roose in the fighting at the fords of the Trident and seizes the ruby ford.
A Feast for Crows
References and Notes
- ↑ The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Ruby Ford.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 30, Arya VII.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 49, Catelyn VI.
- ↑ The World of Ice and Fire, Robert's Rebellion.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 4, Eddard I.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 15, Sansa I.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 74, Arya XIII.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 55, Catelyn VIII.
- ↑ So Spake Martin: The Rootes and Harroway, June 16, 2000
- ↑ Game of Thrones Viewer's Guide
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 39, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 11, Jaime II.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 44, Jaime VI.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 60, Tyrion VIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 31, Brienne VI.