Pirates or corsairs commit acts of robbery or criminal violence at sea, on a shore, or in other major bodies of water, such as the river pirates on the Rhoyne.
While the Qohorik rule the Qhoyne and the Darkwash north of Ar Noy, pirates are thickest on the rivers between Ar Noy and the Sorrows. There are pirates on Dagger Lake, which is full of islands where pirates lurk in hidden caves and secret strongholds. Pirates do not sail into the Sorrows, and the Rhoyne south of the Sarrows is held by Volantene galleys.
The Three Sisters have been a favorite haunt of smugglers for hundreds of years, and were pirate nests before that. The ancestors of House Borrell of Sweetsister were pirate kings until the Starks came down on them with fire and sword in the Rape of the Three Sisters.
A Clash of Kings
A Storm of Swords
A Feast for Crows
Aurane Waters flees King's Landing with the royal dromonds after the arrest of Queen Cersei Lannister. Grand Maester Pycelle believes that Aurane is sailing to the Stepstones to set himself up as a pirate.
A Dance with Dragons
When Quentyn Martell sails incognito on the Meadowlark, pirates come aboard when the ship is anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands; the crew fends off the pirates off at the cost of twelve lives. 
The Winds of Winter
|| Warning |
This information has thus far been released in a sample chapter for The Winds of Winter, and might therefore not be in finalized form. Keep in mind that the content as described below is still subject to change.
- a corsair king active in the Summer Sea
- Korra the Cruel, based in Dagger Lake
- Pynto, a Braavosi innkeeper and former pirate
- Salladhor Saan, Lord of Blackwater Bay and self-styled Prince of the Narrow Sea, a Lysene pirate and sellsail
- Shrouded Lord, said to be a corsair from the Basilisk Isles
- Urho the Unwashed, based in Dagger Lake
- Aurane Waters, the Bastard of Driftmark, former grand admiral to Queen Cersei Lannister and possibly the self-styled Lord of the Waters
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 5, Tyrion II.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 16, Daenerys III.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- Fire & Blood, Under the Regents - War and Peace and Cattle Shows.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 34, Cat Of The Canals.
- The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Aegon IV.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 45, The Blind Girl.
- A Clash of Kings, Prologue.
- A Storm of Swords, Chapter 23, Daenerys II.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 35, Samwell IV.
- A Feast for Crows, Chapter 43, Cersei X.
- A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 6, The Merchant's Man.