The order of builders is one of the three orders that comprise the Night's Watch, alongside the rangers and the stewards. The builders' main duty is to tend to and maintain the Wall and the castles of the Night's Watch. A senior member, known as the First Builder, leads the order.
Once, the builders of the Night's Watch, obtained large blocks of ice from lakes in the haunted forest, north of the Wall, which they dragged south in order to make the Wall even higher. Their tasks now include looking for cracks in the Wall, signs that the Wall is melting, or other structural problems, and making whatever repairs they possibly can. When patrolling the Wall during their check-ups, they ride mules.
The builders provide masons, carpenters, miners, and woodsmen to their fellow brothers. They repair the keeps and towers of the Night's Watch, dig tunnels and crush stone for the roads and footpaths on top of the Wall, and clear away the parts of the forest that presses too close to the Wall on its northern side.
A Clash of Kings
During the great ranging, several builders accompany the rangers led by Lord Commander Jeor Mormont. A score of builders is set to clearing brush, digging latrines, and untying the bundles of fire-hardened stakes upon the arrival at the Fist of the First Men.
A Storm of Swords
When the free folk army of Mance Rayder attacks the Wall in the Battle of Castle Black, several of the builders argue that the ice and broken beams, the result of the attack carried out by Thenns, should be left to block the inner gate, as they believe it can serve as an obstacle for Mance.
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons
Lord Commander Snow offers to lend builders to Stannis Baratheon to restore the Nightfort, once the stair to the top of the Wall is done. The First Builder, Othell Yarwyck, eventually leads builders off to the Nightfort, and attempts to restore it. While they are able to restore most of the keep and place a new roof over the kitchens, most of it still remains in ruins. According to Othell, restorations could be done much faster if there were more builders available.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The World of Ice & Fire, The Wall and Beyond: The Night's Watch.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon VI.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 26, Jon III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 26, Arya VI.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon IV.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 41, Jon V.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 64, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 5, Samwell I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 17, Jon IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, Jon I.
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon VII.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 39, Jon VIII.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 44, Jon IX.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 A Clash of Kings, Appendix.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Appendix.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 A Storm of Swords, Appendix.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 60, Jon VIII.