To the west the Bite reaches the Neck, and the landscape between the kingsroad and the bay is a bleak and barren shore. The cold salt sea has strong winds and opens onto the narrow sea to the east. To the south are the Mountains of the Moon and the Fingers.
White Harbor is located at the mouth of the White Knife in the bay's north, while Oldcastle is found farther to the southeast along the northern coast. Fisherfolk from White Harbor sail the Bite, and Sistermen have a reputation for smuggling and wrecking.
Pirate kings of the Three Sisters controlled the Bite and neighboring waters in antiquity. House Arryn, the Kings of Mountain and Vale, gained control of the Three Sisters through the War Across the Water.
After the outbreak of Robert's Rebellion, Lord Eddard Stark attempted to return to the north with the aid of a fisherman from the Fingers. The fisherman drowned during a storm, but his daughter was able to transport Ned to the Three Sisters. Some say Lord Stark impregnated the daughter, who gave birth to Jon Snow.
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
A Dance with Dragons
The remnants of Salladhor Saan's fleet sails toward White Harbor with Davos. Tired of storms and Stannis's inability to pay, Salladhor sets Davos loose in a rowboat near Sisterton and sails for the Stepstones.
|“||For thousands of years, these islands had boasted their own cruel kings, pirates and raiders whose longships sailed the Bite, the narrow sea, and even the Shivering Sea with impunity, plundering and reaving as they would and returning to the Sisters laden with gold and slaves. These depredations finally led the Kings of Winter to send their own war fleets to seek dominion over the Sisters—for whoever holds the Three Sisters holds the Bite.||”|
|“||The Three Sisters were islands in the Bite. Dunk had heard septon say that the isles were sinks of sin and avarice.||”|
- ↑ George R. R. Martin's A World of Ice and Fire, Bite.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Lands of Ice and Fire, Westeros.
- ↑ A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 20, Reek II.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 18, Catelyn IV.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Map of the North
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 9, Davos I.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 29, Davos IV.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The World of Ice & Fire, The Vale.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 17, Bran III.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 10, Davos I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 15, Davos II.
- ↑ The Mystery Knight.