The haunted forest is a vast forest beyond the Wall in the North. It is inhabited by the free folk and is bounded to the west by the Frostfangs and to the east by the Shivering Sea and the Bay of Seals. North of the haunted forest is the unmapped Land of Always Winter.
- See also: Images of the haunted forest
Types of trees in the haunted forest include ironwood, sentinel, oak, and weirwood. It is the only known location where one can find more than two or three weirwoods in a single place. The Fist of the First Men is an isolated hill found near the Milkwater in the western part of the forest.
The wood is named the haunted forest by the brothers of the Night's Watch, who traditionally have cut all trees within half a mile of the Wall. As the number of brothers has diminished over the centuries, however, the treeline has crept closer to the Wall, aside from the inhabited forts of Castle Black, the Shadow Tower, and Eastwatch-by-the-Sea.
A Game of Thrones
While ranging in the haunted forest, Ser Waymar Royce, Will, and Gared are attacked by Others, who had been believed extinct. Jon Snow and Samwell Tarly swear the vow of the Night's Watch in a weirwood grove just north of the Wall and Castle Black.
A Clash of Kings
Lord Commander Jeor Mormont leads the Great Ranging northwest from Castle Black into the haunted forest in search of Mance Rayder's wildling host and the missing Benjen Stark. They stop at Craster's Keep on their way to the Fist of the First Men.
A Storm of Swords
The Night's Watch encamped at the solitary hill amidst the forest are suddenly attacked by wights and overwhelmed in the Battle of the Fist of the First Men. The scattered survivors make their way back to Craster's Keep, but many die from wounds or attacks by Others and wights along the way. The brothers of the Night's Watch disperse further after the mutiny at Craster's Keep, with only a few making it back to Castle Black.
Meanwhile, Mance Rayder has gathered the free folk and moves his host through the forest toward Castle Black. They besiege the Wall, but are defeated in the Battle of Castle Black when the unexpected army of Stannis Baratheon attacks from the east through the forest.
A Dance with Dragons
Mance Rayder's wilding host collapses after being defeated by Stannis and the Night's Watch, with the survivors captured at Castle Black or fleeing throughout the regions beyond the Wall. Meanwhile, Bran Stark travels with his companions through the haunted forest toward the cave of the three-eyed crow. Along the way, Coldhands kills the mutineers from Craster's Keep.
Lord Commander Jon Snow sends three groups of rangers led by Ser Alliser Thorne, Black Jack Bulwer, and Kedge Whiteye to scout north of the Wall; Black Jack's group is killed by the Weeper, while nothing is known of the other two groups. Jon leads recruits to swear their vows at the same godswood where he swore his. Val successfully brings Tormund's wildlings from the haunted forest back to Castle Black.
|“||Beyond the Wall the haunted forest stands as it stood in the Dawn Age, long before the Andals brought the Seven across the narrow sea.||”|
|“||This is the haunted forest. Maybe there are ghosts here, the spirits of the First Men. This was their place, once.||”|
Chapters that takes place in the haunted forest
References and Notes
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Lands of Ice and Fire.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 21, Tyrion.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Game of Thrones, Chapter 48, Jon.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Prologue.
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Clash of Kings, Chapter 34, Jon.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Prologue.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 33, Samwell.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 48, Jon.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 46, Samwell.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 56, Bran.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 64, Jon.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 73, Jon.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Prologue.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 10, Jon.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 4, Bran.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 28, Jon.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 31, Melisandre.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 35, Jon.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 53, Jon.