Harpies are legendary female monsters.
- See also: Images of the Harpy
The harpy is said to have a woman's torso, the wings of a bat instead of arms, the legs of an eagle, and a scorpion's curled and venomous tail. The harpy was the symbol of the Old Empire of Ghis and is as synonymous with the Ghiscari as the dragon is with the Valyrian Freehold. Harpy's gold is a plant found at Slaver's Bay.
The harpy symbol still endures in Slaver's Bay, and many plazas and gates in the Slaver Cities are dominated by huge harpy statues of bronze or clay. Harpies also decorate the poles of Ghiscari silken pavilions. A thunderbolt rested in the claws of the harpy of Old Ghis. The harpy of Astapor has a heavy chain dangling from her talons, with an open manacle at either end. The harpy of Yunkai has talons grasping a whip and an iron collar. A harpy decorates the top of the Great Pyramid in Meereen, and the throne within is carved in the shape of a harpy.
A Storm of Swords
A Dance with Dragons
The so-called Sons of the Harpy oppose Daenerys's rule in Meereen and use the symbol of the harpy as their calling card. Skahaz mo Kandaq believes the assassins are led by the Harpy, a secret general.
During one of Daenerys's audiences in the Great Pyramid, a sculptor proposes to replace the head of the great bronze harpy in the Plaza of Purification with one cast in Daenerys's image. The queen denies him with as much courtesy as she can muster. Drogon takes to basking in the sun at the apex of the Great Pyramid where the harpy of Meereen once stood. When attempting to capture the dragon, Daenerys's men fail three times to take him at the apex.
– Kraznys mo Nakloz to Missandei
- Daario Naharis to Daenerys Targaryen
- Qyburn and Cersei Lannister
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 23, Jon III.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 23, Daenerys II.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 57, Daenerys V.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 47, Tyrion X.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 42, Daenerys IV.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A Storm of Swords, Chapter 71, Daenerys VI.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 2, Daenerys I.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 30, Daenerys V.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 11, Daenerys II.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 24, Cersei V.